Organizing your WordPress site is crucial for ensuring that visitors can easily navigate and find the content they are looking for. In this article, we’ll take a look at the top 10 WordPress category plugins that can help you achieve a well-organized site. Before diving into the plugins, we’ll define what WordPress category plugins are and the benefits of using them for site organization.
What are WordPress category plugins?
WordPress category plugins are tools that enable you to organize your site’s content into categories and subcategories. They provide a simple way to sort and display content according to the topics covered. Some plugins also allow you to create custom taxonomies and post types.
Benefits of using WordPress category plugins for site organization
Using WordPress category plugins can have numerous benefits, such as:
- Enhancing the user experience by making it easier to find content
- Improving site navigation
- Boosting SEO by making it easier for search engines to crawl your site
- Simplifying content management
- Saving time and effort
Why is site organization important?
Site organization is crucial for several reasons:
- It makes it easier for visitors to navigate and find what they’re looking for
- It reduces bounce rates and increases engagement
- It helps search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your site, which can improve SEO and site ranking
- It simplifies content management and improves productivity
How to choose the right category plugin for your site?
When choosing a WordPress category plugin, you need to consider the following factors:
- The features and functionalities offered
- Compatibility with your WordPress version and theme
- User ratings and reviews
- Pricing and licensing
A List of Top 10 WordPress category plugins
Let’s take a look at the top 10 WordPress category plugins, along with their features, pros, and cons.
1 TaxoPress Plugin
TaxoPress is a plugin that offers an all-in-one solution for managing Tags, Categories, and other taxonomy terms on your WordPress website. With TaxoPress, you can easily organize, optimize, and showcase your content by adding and managing taxonomy terms.
The key features of TaxoPress include:
- Manage Terms and Taxonomies: You can create new taxonomies and customize settings for each taxonomy.
- Terms Display: This feature allows you to display all the terms in a specific taxonomy in a customizable way.
- Terms for Current Post: You can display all the terms assigned to the current post in a customizable way.
- Related Posts: This feature shows lists of posts with similar tags and categories.
- Auto Links: Automatically links any instances of a specific term in your content to the archive page for that term.
- Auto Terms: Automatically adds a specific term to your post when it finds the word in your content.
- Suggest Terms: This feature can suggest relevant terms for your content and link those terms to the correct archive pages.
- Mass Edit Terms: Quickly add or remove taxonomy terms from any content in WordPress.
- Manage Terms: You can add, rename, merge, remove, delete and delete unused terms.
It is the best WordPress category and tag plugins: TaxoPress can help improve your website’s SEO by optimizing your taxonomy terms and making it easier for search engines to understand your content. It also offers various options for displaying your taxonomy terms, including customizable displays of terms and related posts. Additionally, TaxoPress is compatible with WooCommerce and bbPress, making it an ideal choice for managing product categories and forum topics.
TaxoPress also offers a Pro version with additional features and expert support.
2 Real Category Management Plugin
As your WordPress website grows, managing content like posts, pages or WooCommerce products can become overwhelming. Real Category Management is one of the unique WordPress category plugins in the market that provides a file manager-like interface to organize your content into category folders, making mass content management easy and efficient.
With Real Category Management, you can drag and drop your posts into categories, create, name, delete or rearrange your categories, and sort folders by drag and drop with a custom order. This plugin seamlessly works with any custom post type, including WooCommerce products, LearnPress content, bbPress forums and more.
- Manage content in folders that visualized your categories etc.
- Full control over your folders in one toolbar (create, rename, delete)
- Sort folders by drag & drop and create a custom order
- Quickly navigate through the folders with folder quick search
- Organize content by drag & drop without the need to edit every post
- Existing WordPress hierarchical taxonomies are used to show the folder three
- Custom post types like WooCommerce products, LearnPress content ore bbPress forums are supported (in PRO version)
- Support for WooCommerce products and product attributes
- Page change in pagination without reloading the whole page in your WordPress backend
- Works great on touch devices
- Translated into several languages
- Compatible with plugins that uses WordPress custom post types
- Supports WordPress Multisite
- GPDR/DSGVO: The plugin does not collect personal data without your consent!
3 WP Category Widget Plugin
WP Category Widget is a plugin that allows users to display the list of categories for any taxonomies type on their WordPress website’s sidebar or widget area. This plugin provides various options for customizing how the category list is displayed and can be used to improve website organization.
Here are some of the features of the plugin:
- Simple and easy to use: WP Category Widget is a simple plugin that is easy to install and use. It doesn’t require any coding knowledge, making it an ideal option for beginners.
- Customizable options: The plugin provides users with various options for customizing the category list’s appearance. Users can disable the widget block editor and enable the classic widget layout to edit the sidebar. It also allows users to display the category post count, hide child categories, hide the widget title, and show categories for any taxonomies type.
- Addon features: WP Category Widget provides additional features such as displaying the category as a dropdown, displaying category posts, managing WP widget style, and adding custom CSS for every widget.
4 WooCommerce SEO & Categories
This plugin is one of the best category plugins for WordPress that focus on WooCommerce sites, It is designed to help you optimize your WooCommerce categories and improve your website’s SEO. With this plugin, you can add custom texts related to your categories and create a visually appealing layout. You can also add a header image to your categories and style your subcategories to give your customers a great user experience.
- Category Layout
- Modify the category page
- Show category description, short description, and footer text
- Set background color and default category background image
- Define category title tag and padding
- Choose category title and short description font
- Subcategories Layout
- Modify the subcategories section
- Show subcategory short description
- Set subcategory columns and choose subcategory style
- Define subcategory title tag, background color, and font
- Sidebar Texts
- Enable sidebar and define sidebar title
- Choose between category title and custom title, where you can use %s to dynamically show the category title
- Shop Page
- Configure the WooCommerce Shop page
- Add a shop description and footer
Overall, this plugin gives you full control over your WooCommerce categories and allows you to create a customized layout to increase your sales.
5 Subscribe to Category Plugin
The Subscribe to Category plugin makes it easy for users to stay up to date with the latest posts in their favorite categories. With just a few clicks, users can subscribe and unsubscribe from specific categories and receive email notifications with links to the actual posts.
- Easily subscribe and unsubscribe to posts within specific categories
- Customizable email notification template with placeholders
- Works with custom posts and taxonomies
- Enhanced keyword search in title, content, tags, and taxonomies
- Option for email and SMS notifications on a timer or daily basis
- Notifications for newly created and/or updated posts
- Works with both classic editor and block editor
- Ability to export and import subscribers
- Implementation options include widget and/or shortcode.
6 The No Category Base (WPML) Plugin
The No Category Base plugin is designed to remove the mandatory ‘Category Base’ from your category permalinks. This means that instead of having a permalink like ‘mysite.com/category/my-category/’, the plugin will change it to ‘mysite.com/my-category/’. The best part is that it does not require any setup or modifications to core WordPress files, making it a simple and hassle-free solution. It also ensures that all your old category links are redirected to the new ones using a 301 redirect, which is great for SEO.
Here are some of the features of the plugin:
- Improved and logical permalinks for better user experience.
- Lightweight plugin with minimal overhead.
- Works right out of the box, with no setup required.
- Does not require any modification of WordPress files.
- Does not need any additional plugins to work.
- Compatible with sitemap plugins.
- Compatible with WPML.
- Works with multiple sub-categories.
- Works with WordPress Multisite.
7 Media Library Categories Plugin
With this plugin, you can easily add categories to your WordPress Media Library. Once activated, a dropdown of categories will appear in the media library, allowing you to organize your media items into categories. The plugin also provides the ability to edit or remove categories from your media items. You can even change the category of multiple items at once using bulk actions. Additionally, the plugin allows you to filter categories when using the gallery shortcode, making it easier to display only the media items from a particular category.
- Add, edit, and remove categories from media items
- Change the category of multiple items at once with bulk actions
- Category options and management in the Media Library
- Filter on categories in the Media Library
- Filter on categories in the Gallery shortcode
- Taxonomy filter for better organization of media items.
8 Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order
With Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order plugin, you can easily order your WordPress categories and custom taxonomies hierarchically with a drag-and-drop interface. This plugin does not require any theme/plugin updates as the custom sorting is applied on the fly to the front queries. It also allows you to sort child categories/terms and provides a menu to choose which taxonomy needs to be sorted for a custom post type. Additionally, you can sort the admin terms interface as per your custom sorting.
- Order WordPress categories and custom taxonomies hierarchically using a drag-and-drop interface
- No theme/plugins updates are required, sorting is applied on the fly to front queries
- Sort child categories/terms using the same interface
- Menu to choose which taxonomy needs to be sorted for a custom post type
- Option to sort the admin terms interface
- Available in multiple languages including English, Dutch, French, German, Slovak, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Czech, and Romanian.
9 List Category Posts Plugin
List Category Posts is a plugin that allows you to easily list posts by category in your WordPress pages or posts using a simple shortcode. With just a few clicks, you can customize the display of your post list and show the post author, date, excerpt, and custom field values. It’s a flexible and powerful tool that can save you time and effort when organizing your content.
- Easily list posts by category using a simple shortcode
- Customize the order in which the posts are displayed
- Specify the number of posts to be displayed in each list
- Display post author, date, excerpt, custom field values, and even the full content
- Can be used multiple times on the same page or post with different arguments
- Global options available to define default number of posts to show for each instance
- Simple and intuitive interface for easy customization
10 Display Posts Plugin
The Display Posts plugin is a powerful tool that allows you to showcase your content in a variety of ways on your website. With the help of shortcodes, you can display posts, pages, and custom post types in any way you want. Here are some of the key features of this plugin:
- Filter posts by category, tag, author, and more.
- Display posts in a grid or list format with customizable styling.
- Highlight popular posts by social shares or comment counts.
- Include thumbnails, excerpts, and other post information in your display.
- Sort your posts by title, date, relevance, and more.
- List upcoming events from any event calendar plugin.
Overall, Display Posts is an excellent tool for displaying your website’s content in a clean and organized manner. Whether you want to highlight your most popular posts or create a custom grid of content, this plugin has everything you need to get the job done.
WordPress category plugins can greatly enhance your website’s user experience, navigation, SEO, and productivity. The top 10 WordPress category plugins we have discussed in this article each of them has unique features and functionalities that can help you choose the right one for your site.
However, if you are looking for an all-in-one solution for managing Tags, Categories, and other taxonomy terms, TaxoPress can be the best choice, It’s is one of the best WordPress category and tag plugins.
On the other hand, if you want a file manager-like interface to manage your content, Real Category Management can be the best fit for you.
Please consider the compatibility with your WordPress version and theme, user ratings and reviews, and pricing and licensing before choosing the right plugin. By using one of these best WordPress category plugins, you can organize your site’s content into categories and subcategories, optimize your taxonomy terms, and make it easier for your visitors to find the content they are looking for.